nrma-banner-bg.jpg

NRMA INSURANCE

ROLE IN THIS PROJECT

I was the UI/UX Designer in this project. In this project I conducted research and experiments to validate the customer problem statement. Working along side the product owner, business analyst and the dev team, we planned and executed a user-centred design process which included customer interviews and concept testing to ensure a high level of usability. 

DEFINING THE PROBLEM

I conducted a customer feedback session with the Mobile team. We produced 3 customer problem statements that were based on customer reviews on the APP store and generated ideas to solve these problems. The customer problem statement for this project was: I have more than 2 policies, I am trying to find my policies but I cannot find where they are or can only see one policy because I have to scroll across the screen. I also do not associate the photos with my own policies which makes me feel FRUSTRATED.

PLANNING THE EXPERIMENTS

It is important in the design process to validate the customer problem statement. In doing so I put together an end to end timeline. This allowed me to better prepare and organise myself as the only UI/UX designer in the Mobile team. The timeline below was an indication of what types of experiments I needed to conduct before going into design and build. This timeline can change depending on the outcome from each experiment.

EXPERIMENT 1: Quantitative Experiment

Validate whether customers find value in policy card images using a quantitative experiment.

EXPERIMENT 1: Quantitative Experiment Synthesis

Based on the results and feedback from the quantitative experiment there is a need of having both with an image and no image. Having an image helps to provide customers with a visual cue. However, the images need to be relevant to their policy. This can be done by allowing our customers to upload their own asset and also providing different imagery for each policy type for customers who choose not to upload their own asset. We currently have 1 image for each policy type and this will be repeated for customers who have more than 1 policy of the same policy type.

 

Having no image was also a popular choice for many participants as this allows them to focus on the information on the policy card.

DECISIONS & ACTIONS FOR EXPERIMENTATION 2

  • Allow customer to have 2 card views, option 1 with an image and option 2 no image.

  • Provide multiple images for each policy type so customers with more than 1 policy of the same type can see different images associated with their policies.

  • Allow customer to upload their own image to easily distinguish their policies from one another.

RESEARCH & ITERATED DESIGN

After experiment 1 I continued researching further on how cards are presented in other Apps. I found that it is important to break down different information into content blocks. These content blocks, as a whole, are related to a single subject or destination. In able for me to do this I need to find out what content customers value when providing a summary of their policy in a glance.

EXPERIMENT 2: Card Sorting

I conducted a card sorting activity as part of experiment 2. I gave 7 NRMA customers a set of 8 contents to arrange in order of their importance to them.

EXPERIMENT 2: Qualitative Experiment

Based on the card sorting activity I quickly iterated the design for a quantitative experiment. I contacted the same 7 NRMA customers for a moderated usability testing. The below policy card designs were tested during this experiment.

EXPERIMENT 2: Qualitative Experiment Synthesis

Based on the results and feedback from the design centre and 2 experiments (1 quantitative and 1 qualitative) an icon will do the job. Having an image and allowing the customer to upload their own is a great way to personalise the app. It is novel, however, customers do not spend a lot of time using the NRMA app. Therefore, customers may not appreciate the feature. It is also important for a branding perspective that the the app does not lose its brand essence when customers start uploading their own images. Providing a smaller image space that is big enough for customers to distinguish their policies from one another will avoid this from occurring. By doing this, customers assets wont overpower the brand.

 

ACTIONS:

 

  • Icon over image. There is no benefit of having 2 unless we want to do a high confidence experiment which we A/B test icon vs image but based on experiment 2, an icon is far easier to see at a glance.

  • Rework policy detail screens to accomodate for the icon design.

  • Covered until date, next payment date and REGO number were sorted as extremely valuable. Overdue or missed payment is sorted as mostly valuable. These dates need to be shown on a dashboard level.

DESIGN

After rounds of design iterations based on the experiments I conducted I finally produced a solution that solves the customer problem statement for this project. I thoroughly enjoyed this project, it allowed me to really understand what customers want to see on their policy cards that allow them to obtain important information about their policies. Understanding the benefits of having an image for an insurance App is also something very important for us to know as this can impact user experience as well as the NRMA brand. Overall, the experience was very insightful for me and the team to learn how we can provide meaningful information while keeping the quality of UI design clean and simple to understand.

© 2020 by Mabelle Montina